September is the traditional “back to school” month across the United States. Public school begins the fall semester the week before Labor Day in Fairfax County in Northern Virginia where the HBC Group agents predominantly sells homes.
Turns out that September is a great month to sell real estate in Virginia. According to Inman Select, the best month to sell a home in Virginia is September. The quarter that includes the traditional fall months of the year of September, October and November is the best period of time to sell. The data compiled monthly selling trends including average days on market, and the price to sale amount ratios over a five year period.
Below are five benefits of selling a home in the fall months of September, October and November in Virginia:
1) The appraisal data tends to be stronger. In the fall months, appraisers are typically looking back to the previous 6 months of sales for comparables. When sales occur in the spring, the comparables from the previous 6 months is the wintertime months for the area. Typically spring sales are stronger than winter sales, so values often are stronger for a sale in the fall of the year in Virginia.
2) There is typically less competition. Frequently there are less homes for buyers to consider which can make them less “picky”.
3) Buyers tend to be more motivated. If a buyer is in the market to purchase a home in the fall, they are usually real buyers and not just tire kickers.
4) Buyers are in a “back to school” frame of mind. After having the summer off from many responsibilities, buyers are ready to focus and make the move, literally and figuratively.
5) The season change in the fall is a beautiful time of the year in much of Virginia.
If you find yourself in the need of some guidance from a professional Realtor, please visit our website for more information at: www.HBC RealtyGroup.com. Karen Briscoe, Lizzy Conroy, Jenny McClintock and the team of agents at HBC Group at Keller Williams would be delighted to assist with your real estate needs, whether selling or buying a home. The group of active and experienced Realtors® in the Northern Virginia, suburban Maryland and Washington, DC marketplace consider it their mission to improve and impact lives. Please contact via the means most convenient for you: www.HBCGroupKW.com, 703-734-0192, Homes@HBCGroupKW.com.